Thursday, January 27, 2005

Idli

Sunday morning, Ankit is on his way to Hindi school with Papa, practicing the Hindi letters of A and I.

"Do you know any words with I?", Papa asks him.

"Imli", Ankit says. (Imli is a kind of tropical spice/fruit)

"Good", Papa says.

"Can you please tell me one more with I? Then we will have two words", Ankit says.

"Idli", Papa says, after a lot of thinking. (Idli is a south Indian steamed rice cake dish).

"Idli.. yes", Ankit says, "... there are actually two words called Idlis".

"Two words?", Papa says, "I know only one meaning.. the thing Madhuri Aunty made the other day. What is the other word?".

"New Idli", Ankit says, "Where Baba (grandpa) and Dadi (grandma) live".

"That is New Delhi, Ankit... not New Idli", Papa corrected him when he stopped laughing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home